Thursday, April 3, 2014

A to Z - C (2014)

I'm doing the A to Z Blogging Challenge this year. The basic idea is to blog nearly daily with each day representing a different letter of the alphabet. My entries will be short and book-related.  



C is for...
Collections.

Specifically, collections of short stories. Years ago, I always associated short stories with school. Because outside of some teachable point, I didn't really see the point in a short story. I wanted longer stories wherein more 'stuff' happened. 

Sophisticated point of view, right?

A few years ago I picked up one of the "Mammoth Book of" collections, and therein discovered that short story collections were a great way to 'meet' new authors. Then I picked up one of the recent urban fantasy collections, and it was an opportunity to visit with some of my favourite characters in an episodic format - usually a short case handled by one of the many urban fantasy private detectives or enforcers or what-have-you.

I'm still not sure I could pick up a more literary style collection without having flashbacks to essay-writing and 'unpacking' meaning and so forth, but I can certainly see the value in these collections now.

What's your experience been with short story collections? Do they drive you nuts? Leave you wanting more? Or can they be fulfilling in their own way?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read a short story in a very long time - probably since high school. They used to leave me wanting more.

    TaMara
    AJ's AtoZ wHooligan
    Tales of a Pee Dee Mama

    ReplyDelete